Is a Broken Window Glass Accident Covered by Homeowners Insurance?


Seeing your window glass broken may not be easy for you, as repairing it can be expensive, especially if it is a large window. You may be thinking about claiming your homeowners insurance policy to cover the cost of replacing your window glass. However, before making a claim, you need to know whether it covers the broken window glass and in what situations the damage is covered.

Here are some circumstances in which homeowners insurance may cover a broken window glass.

Something breaks your window

A typical homeowners insurance policy covers the cost of damages and repairs that result from theft, vandalism, hail, wind, and fire. Therefore, if your window glass breaks due to these reasons, you can file a homeowners insurance claim on your dwelling coverage.

If your broken window is on a detached structure, including a detached garage or shed, you can file a claim on your other structures coverage.

You break someone else’s window

If you or your child accidentally damages or breaks another person’s window, the liability coverage in your homeowners policy may cover the damages and repairs. You do not need to pay a deductible on homeowners liability coverage.

You break your window

A homeowners insurance policy does not cover events where you or your child accidentally breaks your window glass. In such circumstances, you will have to pay for the repairs out of your pocket.

Also, homeowners insurance does not cover general wear and tear and window maintenance. If your window needs to be repaired or replaced, you need to pay out of your pocket.

Broken window seals are also not covered by homeowners insurance, as window seals can break or fail over time, and you need to repair or replace them according to your manufacturers’ instructions.

Home insurance deductibles and limits

You need to pay a deductible for the broken window claim. Your deductible is the amount you pay yourself before your insurance covers the claim. If the cost of repair is less than your deductible, you will have to pay for the repairs out of your own pocket. However, if the cost of repair is higher than your deductible, your insurance will pay the difference up to your coverage limit.

Do you have any additional questions about homeowners insurance policy? For assistance with all your coverage needs, contact an insurance professional at Westwood Insurance Agency today.